header image

Two friends from Newport, Wales and New York, USA share pictures of their passion for beer. Read more...

Tagged: shepherd neame

The Betsey Trotwood is a Victorian pub located in the Clerkenwell area of London. Owned by the Shepherd Neame brewery, the Betsey is a very popular music venue holding regular events in its basement.

The East India Arms is a tiny Shephed Neame owned pub in the City of London. Located near Fenchurch Street Station, the pub is no more than a single room and a few stools dotted around the bar. You can read a review and view more photos at Travels with Beer.

Tucked away in St Michael's Alley, part of a labyrinth of charming medieval courts and alleys off Cornhill and Lombard Street, the Jamaica Wine House was originally London's first coffee house, which opened in 1652 and is thought to have been visited by Samuel Pepys. The current 19th century building is one of the most atmospheric pubs in the City, flush with Victorian splendour, featuring an oak-panelled bar, high partitions and ornate ceilings. The pub is currently owned by Shepherd Neame who refurbished the pub in April 2009.

The Old Doctor Butler's Head is a traditional English pub in the heart of the City of London. Originally established in 1610 the present building dates from after the Great Fire of 1666. Dr Butler was a specialist in nervous disorders whose 'miracle cures' included holding consultation on London Bridge during which the unfortunate client would be dropped through a trapdoor into the torrent below. For epilepsy he would fire a brace of pistols near his unsuspecting patient, to scare the epilepsy from them, or in cases of the plague, plunge the poor soul into cold water. So highly was he thus considered, despite his lack of qualifications that he was appointed court physician to King James 1. He also developed a medicinal ale for gastric ailments, which was available only from taverns which displayed Dr. Butler's head on their signs, this led to his acquiring a number of ale houses. Of these, the Old Dr. Butler's Head is the last remaining.

The Old Doctor Butler's Head is a traditional English pub in the heart of the City of London. Originally established in 1610 the present building dates from after the Great Fire of 1666. Dr Butler was a specialist in nervous disorders whose 'miracle cures' included holding consultation on London Bridge during which the unfortunate client would be dropped through a trapdoor into the torrent below. For epilepsy he would fire a brace of pistols near his unsuspecting patient, to scare the epilepsy from them, or in cases of the plague, plunge the poor soul into cold water. So highly was he thus considered, despite his lack of qualifications that he was appointed court physician to King James 1. He also developed a medicinal ale for gastric ailments, which was available only from taverns which displayed Dr. Butler's head on their signs, this led to his acquiring a number of ale houses. Of these, the Old Dr. Butler's Head is the last remaining.