Traquair House is Scotland’s oldest inhabited house and dates back to 1107. Beer has been brewed at the house since at least 1556 when Mary, Queen of Scots, visited. A 200 gallon copper was installed in 1739 but brewing discontinued shortly after 1800. The equipment remained locked away until rediscovered in 1965 when brewing was restarted by Peter Maxwell Stuart, 20th Laird of Traquair. Beer today is brewed using the same equipment and fermented in oak vessels, some of which are over 200 years old and is managed by Peter’s daughter Catherine Maxwell Stuart, 21st Lady of Traquair.
This photo is copyrighted and cannot be used without permission. For licensing information, please contact us.