header image

Cittie of Yorke, London » Cittie of Yorke, London

Whilst there has been a pub on this site since 1430, the interior of the present day Cittie of Yorke dates from a 1924 refurbishment when it was owned by wine merchants George Henekey & Co. (note the wine vats on the top left of the photo). Sam Smiths acquired the pub in 1979 and named it the Cittie of Yorke after a long-vanished pub across the road in Staple Inn. An interesting feature of the pub is a fireplace located in the centre of the pub which has three faces, and dates from 1815. It is rare in having an underground flue - the draught pulls the smoke back down and out.

Leave a Reply